12 Days of Christmas Photos

9:59 AM

Follow Harker Studios on Facebook here.


For my Twinnerz first Christmas, I did lots of googling to figure out what to do for a festive photo shoot.  I found lots of easy ideas, but rather than pick just one, I ended up doing them ALL. It turned into "The 12 Days of Twinnerz", and every day for the 12 days leading up to Christmas, I would post pictures from one of their photos shoots on social media. It was a ton of work, but so worth it.

This year (2015) I presented my favorite DIY ideas on Studio 5, Utah's lifestyle show on KSL, channel 5. If the video doesn't work, you can watch the segment here.

I've organized the days by location to make it easier to follow.

Location #1: White Bed

DAY 1 - RED ON WHITE
Child dressed in red on a white bed.
Tip: Add ornaments all over the bed for depth. Also, no need to buy a crisp white bedspread. Off-white, patterned white, or even a white sheet will work.





DAY 2 - BEDTIME PLAYTIME
Naked babies or kids in pajamas snuggled on a bed.
Tip: Capture a memory, not a masterpiece. My reason for saying this is because I had grandiose plans of my kids snuggled in bed wearing Santa hats. It did not go well. They would not keep the hats on or lay down and I was wrestling with them the whole time. They thought it was hilarious and we got these messy, playful, spontaneous Christmas pictures that ended up being some of my favorites. With someone else's kids, I had much better luck getting the "snuggled in pajamas" picture.








Location #2: Kitchen

DAY 3 - WINTER WRAP
At Christmas, I turn my kitchen into a photo studio using wrapping paper.
Tip: Use a shiny wrapping paper to get some fun and colorful reflections in your pictures.





DAY 4 - BABIES IN A BOX
My most popular prop at Christmas is by far the gift-wrapped box.
Tip: Use a bumbo and blankets for babies that can't sit up by themselves. The box hides it perfectly.






DAY 5 - THE BIG GIFT
That box the babies were just standing in? Turn it upside down and now it's a giant present the kids can stand against. My kids couldn't stand by themselves just yet, so the box gave them something to lean against.
Tip: Put something heavy under the box to keep it from sliding as kids lean on it. I used a container of Lego.





DAY 6 - SNOW DAY
Even if there's no snow outside, you can still have winter photos!
Tip: The white backdrop in these photos is just paper hot glued to a giant Styrofoam sheet from the hardware store, then I punched Christmas light through it. Also, pick up the white Ofelia blanket from IKEA. I use it in 90% of my indoor photo shoots.







Location #3: Nursery

DAY 7 - WINTER GEAR
This is another chance to showcase the cute hat/scarf/mittens your kids will wear once or twice this season before they outgrow it.
Tip: Two words. Shag. Rug.  If you've got one, This is the time to pull it out. It will add texture and a warm fuzzy feeling to your photos. (Also one of the main reason I bought a shag rug for the twins' nursery. I knew I'd be taking lots of photos in there.)




DAY 8 - CHRISTMAS LIGHTS IN THE DARK
Exact same location as the last photos. And at the same time of day, believe it or not. Close the blinds or use blackout curtains if you have them. Hang a dark sheet or blanket behind your subject.
Tip: Use LED lights so they don't get hot. Also, white lights look better than colored lights in photos. (I only had colored lights.)







DAY 9 - PAJAMA PARTY
It doesn't get much cuter than Christmas pajamas in the crib.
Tip: Take some pictures with the kiddos looking up at you. So often we say get down on the same level as your kids, but I also love to stand above them. This is a great way to catch the sparkle in their eyes.





Location #4: Christmas Tree

DAY 10 - CLASSIC CHRISTMAS
Capture that special Christmas outfit and special ornaments in front of the Christmas tree.
Tip: Play with the fun reflections you get from shiny ornaments. I was able to sneak into a few of the photos this way.





DAY 11 - SANTA'S COOKIES
Pint size cookies and milk. What baby wouldn't be tempted to snag Santa's snack?
Tip: Mini ginger cookies are Dutch treats.  You can find them at these links: http://www.dutchsweets.com/modderman-friese-pepernoten-400g-p-55.html or http://www.dutchsweets.com/-kruidnoten-p-307.html





DAY 12 - COCOA ON THE COUCH
Grab some mini furniture and sit the kiddos in front of the Christmas tree or fireplace.
Tip: Try to get adult-sized furniture in the background for perspective. Makes the mini furniture look even smaller. Also, as you can see in the pictures, we put treats in the mugs, not real cocoa.





To see more photos, check out my Harker Studios facebook page.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images